Sleep problems range from periodic and inconvenient interruptions to a potentially life threatening cause such as chronic obstructive sleep apnea, which is a breathing related sleep disorder. Sleep apnea affects more than 12 million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health. The most common symptom is loud snoring interrupted by a lapse in breathing pattern. This can repeat numerous times through the night, causing the individual to wake up feeling drowsy. Most often, a spouse or partner recognizes the problem first. Left untreated, sleep apnea may cause:
- High blood pressure
- Other cardiovascular disease
- Memory problems
- Weight gain
Diagnostic sleep studies performed at our Palomar Health specialized sleep lab can help in evaluating your sleep problem.
- A typical sleep study is done with an overnight evaluation.
- The patient then returns later for treatment.
- Sometimes this process can be completed in a single split-night session when it is determined the patient’s apnea is very severe.
- The diagnostic sleep study involves sleeping in a private room while being monitored by 24 electrodes that measure brain wave to record the stages of sleep, facial and eye movement, breathing pattern, leg movement, heart rate and snoring.
- If the results confirm sleep apnea, a CPAP mask (continuous positive airway pressure) is ordered for the patient from an independent medical supply company.
Palomar Health Sleep Lab assesses sleep problems under prescription from a physician. If you feel that you have a problem with your ability to sleep, please talk with your physician. He/She can then provide you with a referral to our lab. Palomar Health Sleep Lab can be reached at 760.739.3685.