Shrimp and Mango Skewers
03. October 2011
Summer may be fading away, but it’s not too late to put some shrimp on the “barbie” and enjoy a delicious meal on a perfect fall evening.
This recipe is so good and easy with a healthy, tropical flair. It’s all in the vitamin C-rich mangoes, mint-and-lime marinade and grilled low-fat shrimp (just 80 calories per 4-oz. serving). The couscous delivers plenty of fill-you-up fiber.
• 1 lime
• 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
• ½ cup packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
• ½ tsp. curry powder
• 1 cup whole wheat couscous
• 5 oz. baby spinach
• 1 lb. shelled and deveined shrimp (between 25 and 30)
• 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling on medium-high.
2. From lime, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 teaspoons juice into medium bowl. Stir in yogurt, half of chopped mint, curry powder, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. In a 4-quart saucepan, heat 1¼ cups water to boiling on high. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes; fluff with fork. Lay spinach on top of couscous; cover and let stand another 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, thread shrimp and mango chunks alternately on skewers. Place half of yogurt mixture in small bowl and set aside for serving. Brush remaining mixture all over shrimp and mango. Grill 5 to 7 minutes or just until shrimp turn opaque, turning over once.
5. Toss spinach and couscous until combined and transfer to large platter. Top with shrimp skewers. Drizzle reserved yogurt mixture over shrimp. Garnish with remaining mint.
Each serving is about 410 calories. 28 g protein, 73 g carbohydrate, 3 g total fat (1 g saturated), 11 g fiber, 147 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium.
Contact Carol by emailing her at Carol@palomarhealth.org.