Maternal Fetal Care at Palomar Health
In its continuing effort to provide the highest level of medical care for the community and reduce the number of high risk pregnancies, Palomar Health offers Maternal Fetal Care at Palomar Health Downtown Campus and at the Jean McLaughlin Women's Center for Health and Healing at Pomerado Hospital.
Palomar Health felt compelled to establish the new centers when considering national statistics that state that one in five pregnancies is considered high risk.
Perinatology consultations are usually considered when:
- The mother is over age 35.
- The mother has pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes, lupus, high blood pressure, kidney disorders or anemia.
- Pregnancy conditions including multiple fetuses, pre-eclampsia or previous pre-term or gestational complications.
- Medical condition of the developing fetus including birth defects or abnormal fetal development.
Maternal Fetal Care also offers pre-conception counseling, which is recommended for women over the age of 35 or those who have certain existing health conditions such as diabetes, kidney disorders, anemia and lupus. A Palomar Health diabetes health educator is available to consult with patients who have diabetes or those who develop diabetes during pregnancy.
Approximately one in five pregnancies is considered high risk, due to many factors such as gestational diabetes, multiple fetuses, high blood pressure, difficulties with prior pregnancies, or the mother’s age. Maternal Fetal Care offers comprehensive services incuding:
- Pre-conception counseling primarily for women over age 35 or those with certain existing health conditions including diabetes, kidney disorders, anemia and lupus.
- Targeted ultrasound to determine or rule out anatomical problems and to evaluate fetal development.
- Genetic testing including family history, carrier screening and counseling.
- Third trimester testing to help plan the timing of delivery to optimize or prevent complications during labor and delivery
- Diabetes management and education.