Qualifying for Bariatric Surgery
Palomar Health Weight Management Center can help. You’ll benefit from the compassion, skill and expertise of a team that’s helped thousands of people reach their goals and improve their quality of life.
What’s Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery, or metabolic surgery, is a procedure that promotes weight loss by:
See the types of weight loss surgery performed at Palomar Health.
- Limiting the amount of food you can consume or digest
- Changing hunger hormones and other chemical reactions in your body
Reasons for Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery is the most effective, proven long-term treatment for obesity. But it’s about more than weight. Bariatric surgery may resolve or improve:
Bariatric surgery and the lifestyle changes you make afterward may also help reduce your risk of a wide range of serious health conditions, including heart disease and several types of cancer.
When you choose Palomar Health for bariatric surgery, you benefit from our experience caring for patients like you. At our boutique hospital in Poway, you’re treated like a VIP. Enjoy:
Our Approach to Care
- One-on-one attention from our bariatric surgery coordinator
- Nurses with specialized training to care for bariatric surgery patients
- Facilities designed with your comfort and safety in mind
- Private patient rooms
Plus, when you stay close to home for bariatric surgery, you may feel more at ease. That’s because you’re closer to your support network and can avoid the stress of driving long distances.
Learn more about what to expect on your journey to better health.
About 300 surgeries are performed at our weight management center each year—so you know we understand the unique needs of bariatric surgery patients and their families. Look forward to exceptional care from a team that includes:
- Board-certified bariatric surgeons with years of experience
- Nurses who get to know you and are devoted to your success
What’s the Cost of Bariatric Surgery?
Many insurance plans offer coverage for bariatric surgery. Contact your insurance provider to learn what’s included in your plan.
Discover whether bariatric surgery at the Palomar Health Weight Management Center could help you reach your health and wellness goals.
Am I a Candidate?
To qualify for bariatric surgery at the Palomar Health Weight Management Center, you must:
- Meet body-mass index (BMI) requirements
- Have a BMI of 40 or above, or be at least 100 pounds overweight, OR
- Have a BMI of 35 or above and at least one weight-related health condition, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis or sleep apnea
- Have tried to achieve a healthy weight through diet and exercise
- Be ready to make lifelong changes to your eating and exercise habits
What’s My BMI?
BMI is a measurement that estimates how much body fat you have. BMI is based on your height and weight. Calculate your BMI.
What If I’m Not Eligible?
If you’re not a candidate for bariatric surgery, ask your primary care provider (PCP) or one of our bariatric surgeons about nonsurgical options for weight loss.
Do I Qualify for Revisional Surgery?
Revisional bariatric surgery modifies or repairs a weight-loss procedure you already had. You may benefit from a corrective procedure if you experience:
- Not enough weight loss
- Too much weight loss for good health
- Persistent acid reflux or vomiting
- Weight regain
- Complications from your first surgery
- Slipped Lap-Band