Knee Replacement Surgery
Award-Winning Orthopedic Knee Care
Download our Joint Replacement Patient Guide.
The Palomar Health Orthopedic and Spine Center of San Diego County ranks in the top 10% of U.S. hospitals, and is the top knee replacement surgical center in North County San Diego. With our orthopedic knee surgeons' pioneering efforts, surgical best practices, and ability to improve pain and other treatment protocols, patients experience rapid recoveries.
A few of our awards and distinctions include:
At the Palomar Health Orthopedic and Spine Center of San Diego County, our surgeons are trained to understand your personal activity level and lifestyle, and recommend a course of knee treatment that reflects your exact needs. We believe in empowering our patients, starting with patient education that begins during the decision to undergo knee replacement surgery and continues after discharge.
Types of Knee Treatments
Due to the high amount of strain placed on the knee throughout the years, knee treatment surgeries, such as orthopedic knee surgery, arthroscopic knee surgery and even total knee replacement, remain commonplace.
If you are faced with a knee condition, the Palomar Health Orthopedic and Spine Center of San Diego County can help. We offer the expertise and experience of sub-specialty trained surgeons in orthopedic knee surgery covering:
- Knee replacement - Total knee replacement is one of the most common surgeries performed at the Palomar Health Orthopedic and Spine Center of San Diego County. Although each procedure varies, generally, surgery to replace your knee lasts about two hours. After the damaged bone and cartilage of your knee are removed, your orthopedic knee surgeon will put your new artificial knee in place.
- Arthroscopic knee surgery - Arthroscopy is a procedure used for joint conditions. Originally, arthroscopy was used mainly for planning a standard open surgery. However, because of the development of new instruments and advanced surgical techniques, your knee can also be treated using an arthroscope.
- Arthritis in the knee - Our orthopedic knee surgeons and physical therapists can work with you on exercises to ease pain, maximize your range of motion and fit you with appropriate braces to lessen discomfort.
- Cortisone injections - As a type of steroid, a cortisone injection can greatly reduce swelling, redness, inflammation and pain. Being injected with cortisone is simple and does not require a long length of stay.
What to Expect
Thanks to years of research, the orthopedic knee surgeons of the Palomar Health Orthopedic and Spine Center of San Diego County extended the lifetime use of the implants, while helping to speed up recovery and reduce post-operative discomfort.
As a leader in outcomes for total knee replacement, we provide:
- State-of-the-art facilities with minimally-invasive surgery options
- Pre-operative educational classes to give you the tools you need throughout your journey
- Clinical support every step of the way, from pre-operative tests, knee surgery, therapy and home recovery
- An individualized knee replacement therapy plan
Pre-Knee Replacement Surgery
Your treatment will be tailored to best fit your unique condition and lifestyle, with every decision based on the latest evidence-based protocols. Patient education and total care coordination ensure that both patients and their families are fully informed and that patient care is personalized, comprehensive and convenient.
Post-Knee Replacement Surgery
The average length of stay at the Orthopedic and Spine Center dropped 25% without increasing readmissions. Average length of stay is now about two and a half days, and most patients begin walking on the day of surgery.
To better understand what to expect from a stay in the hospital, Palomar Health offers valuable tips on the Patient Experience.