Nursing Students Placement Process
Palomar Health is proud to offer nursing student placements at our facilities. To ensure a consistent process, please refer to the information below to guide you through the request process. All requests must be done by our academic partners.
Questions? Contact Academics@PalomarHealth.org
Nursing Student Placement Process
Step 1: Confirm Education Affiliation Agreement
In order to make a request for placement, the school needs to have an active Education Affiliation Agreement.
Please contact Education@PalomarHealth.com to initiate an affiliation agreement.
Step 2: Submit a Placement Request within the San Diego Nursing and Allied Health Service-Education Consortium (SDNEC)
Palomar Health placement requests are submitted and processed through the SDNEC.
If the nursing program is not a member of the SDNEC, the Non-member Request Form can be found on their website: http://sdnsec.org/ under Forms to Download.
Please contact the SDNEC directly should you have any questions.
Step 3: Complete Clearance Requirements in Complio
Approved students and instructors must complete clearance requirements at least three weeks prior to their clinical placement start date.
List of Clearance Requirements
- Urine Drug Screen (10 panel within 30 days if not continually employed by agency)
- 2-Step TB Skin test, Lab
- Varicella Vaccine or Positive Titer or Declination
- Rubella Vaccine or Positive Titer or Declination
- Measles (Rubeola) Vaccine or Proof of Positive Titer or Declination
- Mumps Vaccine or Positive Titer or Declination
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Series or Positive Titer or Declination
- COVID-19 Vaccination(1-dose or 2 doses) or proof of negative COVID-19 test AND proof of weekly negative COVID-19 test
Background Check Requirements
- 7 year County Criminal Background (Background required within last 30 days if not continually employed by agency)
- National Criminal Index
- Sex Offender Search
- OIG (Officer of Inspector General)
- Orientation Modules
- Orientation Portal job aid
- TB Screening or Proof of Annual Screening
Additionally, instructors must provide proof of their active RN license.
STEP 4: Complete and Submit the Student Orientation Record (SOR) Form
The SOR form for approved placements must be submitted no later than two weeks prior to start date, otherwise expect delays.
The instructor listed in the form verifies that the students listed meet all requirements defined in the San Diego Nursing Service-Education Consortium Faculty/Student Requirements policy.
Upload completed SOR forms within the corresponding request within the Consortium.
- Click here to download the SOR form.
- NOTE: You must turn on MACROS prior to filling out the form.
Step 5: Prepare for Clinicals
The instructor will e-mail Academics@PalomarHealth.org requesting a list of IDs for their assigned students.
Instructors and students to review and complete the forms and guides below as appropriate:
1. Instructor Clinical Rotation Checklist
2. Accuchek Inform 2 Skills Checklist
3. Accucheck Inform II Trainer Guide
4. Nursing Student Assignments Form
5. Student Float Log
6. Employee Student Attestation Form (Palomar Health Employees Only)
7. Pyxis Medstation - Confidentiality Agreement (INSTRUCTOR ONLY)
8. Palomar Health Badge and Parking Application Form
9. Preceptor Evaluation Form
1. Student Placements
2. Dress Code
3. Cell Phone Usage
4. Fall Prevention and Management
1. Nursing Preceptorship Instructor and Student Requirements
2. Nursing Student Clinical Rotation Guidelines
3. Emails - ProofPoint: FAQ Email Encryption
4. Emails - ProofPoint: Receiving Secure Emails
5. Emails - ProofPoint: Sending Secure from Outside Palomar Health
6. Clarity CareCompass Job Aid
7. CareAdmin - Medication Administration with the Tethered Scanner
8. Specimen Collection for Nursing Job Aid
Step 6: End of Clinical Rotations
At the end of the last day of the rotation, all students and instructors must drop off their Palomar Health badge to the Security department at either PMC Escondido or Poway.