Diabetes Disease Facts
Diabetes is a disease that can have serious side effects on many parts of the body, sometimes permanently. If left untreated, diabetes can lead to heart and kidney disease, amputations, blindness and other serious problems.
- Diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death listed on U.S. death certificates in 2006.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults aged 20–74 years.
- Diabetic retinopathy causes 12,000 to 24,000 new cases of blindness each year.
- In 2004, about 71,000 nontraumatic lower-limb amputations were performed in people with diabetes.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure.
- It increases the chance of having heart disease or suffering a stroke, by two to four times.
But, with the help of professionals at Palomar Health, you can learn how to control your diabetes and lower your risk for these long-term complications.
Diabetes Patient Education
Download Taking Care of Your Diabetes: English Spanish
For National Diabetes Resources, click here.