Nurse Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in our Nurse Residency Program, a program focused on the New Graduate Nurse. Our Residency Program is offered twice per year – Spring and Fall. Please review the specific dates pertinent to our Program below.
New Graduate Residency Program Information:
- Program start date is February 2021. Applications will open TBD. (Once we have established this date, we will update this information.)
- Positions may close externally based on applicant volume. However, positions will remain open to internal applicants for the five (5) day union-posting period. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- New Graduate RN positions are full time.
- The applicant must be a graduate of an accredited nursing program.
- Interested persons must submit an employment application at www.palomarhealth.org/careers.
- It is highly recommended that the applicant submit a resume and cover letter along with the completed online application. Please note you can only apply to a Nurse Resident position once it has been posted.
- Please include your NCLEX date if you do not have your CA RN license. *You must have your CA RN license by the program start date.
- Current employees must submit a Transfer Request.
- Pathmakers must complete an external job application.
Positions will be available at our hospital facilities in the following departments:
Palomar Medical Center Escondido
- Cardiovascular Progressive Care
- IMC Medical Step-Down
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Labor & Delivery
- Medical Acute Care
- Medical Oncology
- Neurosciences Progressive Care
- Surgical & Trauma ICU
- Trauma Surgical Step Down
Palomar Medical Center Poway
- Medical Surgical
The Residency Program provides a new nurse graduate a 12-month, mentored experience to facilitate the transition from student to professional nurse. The program consists of two distinct phases:
Phase 1: During the first 12-16 weeks, Nurse Residents will practice at the bedside under the supervision of an experienced preceptor. This orientation period includes 120-160 hours of didactic learning designed to assess and reinforce clinical skills, Professional transition discussions are integrated in the program to assist the novice nurses in continuing their professional development and gain specific competencies for their specialty areas. Critical competencies include:
- Clinical Knowledge
- Technical Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Management of Responsibilities
Phase 2: For the remainder of the residency program, Nurse Residents will receive full clinical assignments and will have an experienced “buddy” to serve as resource and mentor. Preceptors/mentors and nursing education staff provide ongoing professional development support.
The Nurse Residency Program is designed to assist the new nurse graduate to:
Required Documentation if Hired:
- Demonstrate clinical competence at an advanced beginning level
- Demonstrate effective decision-making skills and clinical judgment at the point of care
- Incorporate research-based evidence into practice
- Exhibit commitment to nursing through professional behavior
- Develop an individual plan for ongoing professional development
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of teamwork, leadership, and evidence-based practice, research, informatics, and critical thinking
- Have a positive and supportive learning experience along with an easier transition into Palomar Health teams
- Upon interview confirmation, you will be asked to bring bring the following:
- CA RN license (if issued), or a copy of the letter providing your NCLEX test date
- Two letters of recommendation (From school or employer--must be on letterhead with signature)
- Applicants selected for the program will need to provide the following information to Corporate Health:
- Prescription medication(s)
- Immunization records /Titers (if available)
Due to an overwhelming interest in this program, we do our best to provide updated information on this website. We request you not to contact us over the phone to inquire about your application status. We will contact you via email or phone to set up interviews and/or regarding hiring decisions before the start of the program.