Hand Therapy at Palomar Health
Certified Hand Therapists (CHTs) use specialized skills in assessment and treatment to help restore function and improve quality of life for individuals with hand or arm disease or injury.
At Palomar Health Rehabilitation Services, our CHTs work with physicians and patients to provide a continuum of care. This often starts within days of the injury or surgery, through the patient's return to work and/or a productive lifestyle.
- Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Nerve Compression
- Hand Injuries
- Post-Surgical Conditions
- Upper Extremity Disorders
Why Use a Certified Hand Therapist?
- Accurate assessments, immediate care and effective treatment to reduce treatment time
- The continuum of care eliminates the need for multiple medical providers
- Faster recovery results and decreased medial costs
- Resulting functional outcomes ensure a faster return to work and productive lifestyle
A hand therapist can evaluate and identify any problem relative to the upper extremities. The hand therapist can effectively treat and rehabilitate the patient through post-operative rehabilitation, preventative, non-operative, or conservative treatment, or industry consultation.
- Management of open or sutured wounds (prevention of infection and assistance in healing)
- Control of hypertrophic or hypersensitive scars
- Reduction of swelling
Preventative, Non-operative, or Conservative Treatment
- Management of acute or chronic pain
- Desensitization following nerve injury or trauma
- Sensory re-education after nerve injury
- Design and implementation of exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity and/or strength
- Splint fabrication for prevention or correction of injury
- Training in the performance of daily life skills through equipment and adapted methods
- Conditioning prior to returning to work
- Hand therapists may consult with various industries establishing preventative programs for workers with cumulative trauma disorders
- Hand therapists recommend modifications of work stations and alternative work methods to help ensure healthy work styles for all employees.
Do you have questions about rehabilitation services at Palomar Health in North San Diego County? Visit Our Services for more information or Contact us!