Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
The Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU) at Palomar Medical Center Escondido is a Level III and the NICU at Palomar Medical Center Poway is a Level II unit that provides extraordinarily innovative intensive care 24-hours a day to newborn infants with extreme prematurity, who are critically ill. The NICU is a joint venture between Rady’s Children and Palomar Health. In a joint venture between Rady’s Children Hospital, our NICU team is a multidisciplinary team that delivers compassion and extraordinary care to some of our most vulnerable patient populations.
Our Level III Escondido NICU unit and our Level II Poway NICU offer state-of-the-art equipment to provide extraordinary and intensive care 24 hours a day to newborn infants who are critically ill and premature.
Our Level III NICU offers:
- State-of-the-art treatment and monitoring equipment
- A multidisciplinary team including:
- Specially Trained Neonatal Nurses
- Specialized Respiratory Care Providers
- Occupational and Physical Therapists
- Lactation Consultants
- Family Counseling Services
Our NICUs combine state-of-the-art and innovative technology coupled with a commitment to family-centered care to meet every need of every infant.
Palomar Health has also partnered with Rady Children’s Hospital & Health Center to provide Pediatric Services to the children and families of San Diego County. This partnership between Palomar Medical Center Escondido and Children’s Specialists of San Diego Medical Group is designed to provide healthcare access as well as clinical expertise in pediatrics to our community, for which Rady Children’s is known.
We understand that while we treat our infant patients, we must be sensitive to the needs of family members as well. At Palomar Health, the following practices are in place to ensure that everyone involved is comfortable and informed.
- Open visitation for families
- Family members are included in decisions about the baby’s treatment.
- Family members are encouraged to help with the baby’s care
- Family members can personalize the baby’s bed with items from home
- Breastfeeding mothers are supported by Lactation Consultants