What is the Bioethics Committee?
The Bioethics Committee is here to support patient rights and help you, your family and your health-care team make decisions about health care. Committee members have special training in medicine and patient-care issues and will give you and your health-care team information from different points of view to help you to make health care decisions. The Committee will not make decisions for but can be a valuable resource for you and your loved ones.
Who are members of the Bioethics Committee?
- Social Workers
- Patient Representatives
Why would I call the Bioethics Committee?
Please ask for a Bioethics Consult if you have any one of the following:
1. A concern about the decisions being made about your health
2. You or your family needing to make difficult health-care decisions
3. Disagreements in health-care decisions
4. An ethical problem in your care
5. A decision is not reached after talking to your doctor
How can I get a Bioethics Consult?
There are two ways you can get in touch with the Bioethics Committee:
1. Ask your nurse or social worker to call for you.
2. Dial “0” from your in-room telephone and speak to the hospital operator.
What happens after I call a Bioethics Consult?
The ethics team will gather facts, ask questions, listen carefully and offer options to consider.
Is there a fee for a Bioethics Consult?
No. This service is free to you, your family and the staff at Palomar Medical Center Escondido.