Balance & Vestibular
Feeling unsteady on your feet? You are not alone. The truth is 40 percent of people over the age of 40 will experience a balance disorder. In fact, balance disorders are the primary medical cause of falls among the elderly. At Palomar Health, we can help.
We use the same technology to help you that NASA uses to determine the effect of space flight on astronauts’ equilibrium. Specific tests can determine the root of your problem by isolating the different senses your body uses to achieve balance: visual perception, vestibular (inner ear) and somatosensory (the body’s perception of stability). Results from computerized tests help us build a customized treatment plan that will have you steady on your feet in no time.
The Palomar Health Balance & Vestibular Rehabilitation program addresses the needs of individuals with chronic dizziness, balance and mobility disorders due to:
|• Brain injury
||• Sports injury
|• Inner ear disorders
||• Movement disorders
|• orthopedic injury
||• Loss of agility due to aging
|• Spinal cord injury
If you answer yes to one or more of the following questions, you could have a balance problem. The Palomar Health Balance & Vestibular Rehabilitation program can help you regain your active lifestyle.
1. Have you fallen more than once in the past year?
2. Do you take medications for two or more of the following diseases: heart disease, hypertension, arthritis, anxiety or depression?
3. Do you feel dizzy or unsteady if you make sudden changes in movement, such as bending down or turning quickly?
4. Have you experienced a stroke or other neurological problem that has affected your balance?
5. Do you experience a numbness or loss of sensation in your legs and/or feet that affects your balance or walking ability?
6. Do you use a walker or need assistance getting around?
7. Do you feel unsteady while walking or climbing stairs?
8. Do you have difficulty sitting down or rising from a seated or lying position?
Do you have questions about rehabilitation services at Palomar Health in North San Diego County? Visit Our Services for more information or Contact us!